Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Random Reflections On: Working in Education

-When people ask me if I watch "The Walking Dead", my response to them is always the same. Absolutely. It's what those of us who work in education call by its alternate title, "Monday Morning".

-I would like to thank our third grade teachers for their stroke of genius in planning a field trip on Halloween (which I get to go on with one of my students) that concludes right when the Halloween parties start. If you have never tried to get through a day with kiddos leading up to a holiday event, imagine trying to keep a squirrel in a box for six hours, and you've pretty much got it. Halloween on the 4th Saturday in October as a federal law, y'all. Parents and teachers, feel free to write my name in on the presidential ballot.

-Due to my stupor over the Chiefs now being in 1st place in the AFC West and staying up way past my bedtime to watch this occur, I *almost* left the bathroom without putting on any make up this morning. Now before you maybe say something sweet like, I don't need any make up or whatevs, let's take a hard look at the numbers. I am (well) over 40, I work in a 62 year old building with only fluorescent lighting, and it contains 65 kindergartners, who have not yet grown a filter. This would have ended poorly.

-Walkie going off all day asking for assists in classrooms, revolving door in the office, at one point I'm trying to coax a student down the hallway back to class while a different one blows by me in one direction in a huff and another pulling a "Home Alone" style Kevin freak out runs by in another. Welcome to school life a week before Christmas. And we in the SMSD get to do it all again for 2.5 days next week. 😁 If you have yet to purchase your kid's teacher a holiday gift, please do so. And be generous, y'all. Goodness knows they've earned the love. xo

-As someone who works closely with teachers, I already have mad levels of respect for them. As someone who had to cover kindergarten car duty at dismissal today, it has grown even deeper. You think the school car line sucks from a parent perspective? Try bringing out thirty 5 & 6 year olds and getting them matched to their respective vehicles at breakneck speed to keep the line moving. I would liken it to taking a bunch of drunk monkeys to catch the "L". Teachers rock.

-I have subbed probably ten times in the past few days to cover classroom teachers for SpEd meetings, and it seeks to reminds me every time of a few things:
1. Teachers and senators need to swap salaries.
2. Children are no longer taught to write cursive in school, yet still somehow manage form a line in it.
3. When a sub enters a room, 22 bladders simultaneously reach capacity.
4. Paras and aides are amazing at a variety of things, including not laughing aloud when teachers say the IEP meeting "should take less than an hour". (We love them for their optimism though. And for a whole lot of other reasons.😘)
5. Working in education is absolutely the best job on the planet. Yes, we are tired, grossly underpaid (especially those aforementioned aides and paras) and underfunded, but we go home every day with a full heart and knowing that what we do every day changes lives for the better. I am blessed.


-Students always seem confused as to why we refrain from sharing much personal info with them. Given the fact that they LOOOOVE to chat with us about things like: "Mommy got a speeding ticket from the D.A.R.E. officer yesterday", "Daddy said the F word when he was playing X Box", "Mommy's boyfriend had a sleepover at our house last night!" and "Daddy has androids, and it hurts when he poops", you as parents can undoubtedly understand our reluctance.

-You might work in an elementary school if, without even thinking, you yell "Walking feet, please!" at two random kids running down the hallway at the community center. Oops.

-Did not sleep at all well last night and am headed out on a field trip today with about 50 sixth graders. To Power Play. A coffee delivery by anyone the area would be fab. Also, did you know that an entire bottle of wine fits perfectly in a Starbucks trenta cup? I'm not suggesting anything here. Just an interesting fact and stuff. Happy Friday, y'all!

-Working with a small group today, and one student asked what today is. Another said, "It's Taco Tuesday, right, Mrs. Rushing?". My work for the school year is complete. Peace out.

-Summer break brings to educators more joys than I can enumerate. Two of the biggest are peeing and eating whenever we want. If you're not sure what it's like trying to consume ANYTHING in front of students, eat a steak in front of a dog, and you've nailed it. Clearly summer is about really reconnecting with your food. So far today I've had early breakfast, late breakfast, a pre-lunch snack, and it's currently only 10:30. On top of my game over here, y'all. Believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment