Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Thoughts on: Commuter Sign Language

It's been a loooong time since I commuted to work.  Granted my semi re-entry into the work force consists of just two mornings a week teaching yoga, but it's still almost a twenty mile drive on the highway with the other commuter-type people to get to the karate school where I teach.

This morning, I got schooled in their sign language.  I admit, I started it.  I love me some K-LOVE on the radio, and nothing gets my praise and worship on like Chris Tomlin.  Today, it was "Our God".  If you're not familiar with this song, take a listen.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_t_87NyHx0  Unless you're an atheist (and I highly doubt you are if you're reading a blog with "Jesus" in the title), you can't help but get a little pumped up by this song.  I get a LOT pumped.

So I'm driving down I-35 with the radio cranked, raising my hand in praise (gotta keep one on the steering wheel), singing at the top of my lungs, intermittently pointing toward heaven and beating my fist on the wheel during the "bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah" part of the song.  This behavior provokes a very diverse reaction from the people in the vehicles around me.

Some apparently think I'm in the throes of some sort of seizure and move their car to the lane furthest from mine.  Others think I am waving to them and give a half-hearted or even an occasional enthusiastic wave back in their rear view mirror.  Both of these groups tickle me.  It's kinda fun when people think you're off your rocker. (Just wait until I get old, and I'm assigned my requisite Buick.  Then I am really going to be a hoot on the road!)

Then there are those who seem to believe that I am in a rant about the way they are driving and start giving me their own sign language.  These gestures are not indicative of any sort of gratitude for the feedback they think I am giving them.  In fact, what they are doing with their hands and mouth can't be interpreted in any positive way whatsoever.  I won't get graphic or go into details.  Let's just say that I think my car, my intellect and my mother were all being insulted.

For the peeps in the first two groups, you're welcome!  I am bringing a little joy to your morning drive by giving you a lil something to look at other than billboards and the SCOUT signs.  To the people in the last group, I can only say WOW.  I am not at ease knowing that folks with anger management issues are barreling down the highway in vehicles that weigh several tons, and dang y'all, I'm gonna be praying for you!

But no matter which group surrounds me on the road, it's not going to stop me from doing my thing in my car.  So if you see me on the highway flipping and flailing around inside my vehicle, don't be concerned.  Just honk and smile and give me a thumbs up.  Heck, turn your radio to K-LOVE and join me.  After all, I shouldn't be the one having all the fun on the road.

Sparkly Kisses,

D

No comments:

Post a Comment