Friday, January 4, 2013

My Thoughts on: Growth & "Development"

The Girl Child cannot wait to get into a bra.  I subscribe to the belief that before you purchase one, you have to have something to put in it.  Unfortunately for her, if she follows my rate of physical growth and development, that will have us shopping for training bras and her first formal at the same time.

I may have ended up being blessed in the general area where a child sitting on your lap likes to rest their head, but that blessing was the result of about 25% nature and 75% nurturing at the hand of a very skilled plastic surgeon.  Sorry if that's an overshare, but if you weren't scared off by the title of this blog post, you probably aren't clutching your pearls over that revelation. 

Also, I am all about keeping it real.  Well, when it comes to my character anyway.  I own up to what "work" I had done, and in the interest of full disclosure, everything else on me is au natural from the color of my hair down to the toes peeking out of my 5" heels.

Back to the subject.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that the GC will follow in her Nana and Grammie's footsteps when it comes to her development.  The Boob Fairy was very, very good to my mom and grandmother.  Apparently, I did something to tick Her Fairyness off, and while she loaded a lot of air into her pneumatic sparkle gun when she visited Teen Nana and Teen Grammie in the night, she packed only enough when she came to my bedside to inflate a beach ball for my Teen Barbie.  Either that, or the battery pack on her air gun died, I don't know.  The bottom line is that when, as a teen, I heard someone reference "mosquito bites", I usually knew they weren't talking about something itchy on their arm.

So here's hoping that the Boob Fairy's wrath, or failed equipment, or whatever it was with me, skips a generation and that she is generous with the GC when the time comes.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying that a bountiful bosom in the key to happiness in life or anything.  I just know that if the Fairy is stingy with the GC, ultimately she is going to make comparisons to me, and those comparisons will lead to questions.

How am I supposed to convince her that she is physical perfection in my eyes (and she is and will always be) and that should be in her own eyes as well if I altered the very thing about myself that she may feel insecure about?  I will do it by coming clean about what I had done, why I did it at the time, and why, if I had it to do over, I wouldn't do it again.

My reason for having that alteration at twenty-eight was because I had yet to overcome the insecurities that ultimately led me to a surgeon's table.  Thank the Lord, I had no complications during or following the surgery.  But it lead to other issues down the line when it came to my babies, and that alone made the procedure 100% not worth it in my eyes.

Plus, the surgery changed the way I looked, but it definitely didn't change who I was and who I have become.  Every abundant blessing God has ever given me in my life has come to me because of my heart, mind and spirit and not because of my physical appearance.  My appearance may have turned my husband's head the first time he saw me, but it alone certainly hasn't made him stay with me for thirteen years.  Everything I am proud of and everything I have accomplished in my life are the result of gifts that God has blessed me with that have nothing to do with my physical being. 

And that's what I'll tell the GC anytime she is feeling awkward or insecure about anything regarding hers.  The best growth and development that you experience in life have everything to do with with putting your energy and your faith into improving not what the wrong people appreciate only on the outside, but into what the right people see who take the time look inside and appreciate who you REALLY are.

Our daughters have so many beautiful gifts inside their hearts and minds.  As their moms AND dads, let's do what we can now to encourage them in those things first.  A strong sense of self and of character can overcome anything they are faced with in life, even a personality/equipment malfunction by the Boob Fairy.

Sparkly Kisses,

D

No comments:

Post a Comment