Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Thoughts on: Duck Dynasty

I wanna be a Robertson.  If you haven't seen DD on A&E, then as Uncle Si would say, "You missin' out Jack!".  I hadn't even heard of the show until recently.  This isn't surprising, as 75% of the shows on TV I've never heard of, and there are a lot of shows I still try and find on TV that, unbeknownst to me, were cancelled years ago.

This isn't because I don't watch TV.  I grew up on TV, and most of the lines you hear me quote are from 80s movies and 90s TV shows.  You can throw all of the arguments out that you want about TV rotting your brain, making you fat, blah, blah blah, but I've been underweight all my life, and scored a 32 on my ACT (98th %ile TYVM!), so take that logic to the outhouse.  Granted, that was over twenty years ago, but there isn't much standardized testing done on forty-year-old housewives.

Back to the Robertsons.  I cannot impart to you how much I adore these rednecks.  It's not because I want to make fun of them, it's because I GET them.  You're probably saying, "Huh?  How can she get them?  She's a suburban housewife who's into bling and running the PTA".  Trust me, if you shove aside the big hair and CZ hoop earrings, you will find that the back of my neck is indeed a little red.

I'm not all 5" heels and party planning.  I like to shoot and fish, and I've been rootin', stumpin', clogging, to turkey shoots, hollerin' contests, redneck races (these involve lawn mowers instead of cars) and more pig pickins that I can count.  Rednecks rule, and these guys are a great representation of true country boys.

Rednecks get a bad rap.  They're actually ingenious, God-fearing, fun-loving and family-oriented people, and the Robertsons are no exception.  Thanks to editing, the show doesn't display much of their faith, but they are solid Christians who founded their duck call business on Christian principles.  Yes, they've amassed a lot of wealth, but that's no crime in the Bible if you work hard and honest for it, give God His portion and use it for good, all of which they seem to do.

I'm envious of Korie Robertson.  She's married to a redneck and gets to partake in the culture and traditions of redneckdom while living in a 10,000 square foot house in suburbia.  She truly has the best of both worlds.  She can do some shootin' with the boys in the morning, watch the kids play at the Redneck Water Park in the afternoon, and then put on a dress and some Louboutin heels for dinner at the country club.  That's the heat right there!

I'm not naive enough to think that everything on this "reality" show is real.  I get that producers manipulate scenes and circumstances, but you can't change who these people truly are.  They are all about serving their God, loving their family, hard work and having fun, country-style. 

So the next time I find myself down Lou-siana way, I am headed to West Monroe.  I hear tell that Duck Headquarters is now the home of a Duck Dynasty gift shop as well.  I am going to do my durndest to find some duck bling to take home with me and wear with pride.

Sparkly Kisses,

D

No comments:

Post a Comment